Thursday, September 23, 2010

My siblings talk to me most when I'm trying to talk to other people

What the subject line says is true: my siblings prefer to talk to me when I am trying to talk on the phone.

This has always made it very difficult for me to talk to anyone, particularly male friends that I may be interested in, on the phone in the house if they happen to be there too. Sometimes I can get away with it if I am on the phone when I shut myself in my room but if I show my blonde self in the main part of the house it becomes a community conversation. I get things like "ask Kelly this" or "tell Ruben I hate him" or anything else, really. The background noise automatically becomes louder, Patrick breaks out in a loud, high singing voice, Tia has a million things to ask me... it's truly a mess.

I do not go into the main part of the house with a phone glued to my head to talk to everyone in the damn house. Sometimes I need a drink of water. Sometimes I need my phone/computer charger. Sometimes I get tired of looking at dirty laundry and want to sit on the dog-hair coated couch. I should not have to turn myself into a hermit who stays in her batcave all day when I pick up my phone.... which is very frequently.

This is a pretty accurate portrayal of how it feels when I am on the phone with my siblings around:

Tia: "hey look listen!!!"
Patrick: "Does your friend like creamed corn? Do they like sausage? Do they have Taco Bell in other countries? LOOK AT ME!!!!"

Basically, my siblings like my attention but only when I am offering it to other people. Otherwise they won't talk to me for days on end.

No comments:

Post a Comment